Wednesday 30 January 2013

Video Response



Sir Ken Robinson - Do Schools Kill Creativity?




After being introduced this video a few classes ago, I have altered my opinion of the educational system along with my role as a teacher. Sir Ken Robinson analyzes society today, along with the changing educational system in such a unique, yet humorous way that really made me question and analyze the system myself. I'm going to highlight a few of Robinson's points about the educational system that really made me think about my role as a future teacher.  


All kids have tremendous talent and we squander them. 

Children are frightened of being wrong.

Mistakes are becoming stigmatized

If your not prepared to be wrong you'll never come up with anything original. 

Educating people out of their creativity

All children are born artists, the problem is to remain an artist when we grow up

All of these quotes speak about the existing educational system today and what is valued and what isn't. Sir Robinson explains that children come to school ready to explore and experiment but quickly they realize that its not acceptable to stray from the crowd and it is humiliating to be wrong. This means that most students are not going to publicly think or act outside of the norm, therefore a lot of people will not follow their passions and we won't produce creative thinkers.

Sir Ken Robinson made me ponder my future role as a teacher and how I will interact with my students. The video made me think about how children learn in so many ways and how I must be prepared to attend to children of all different needs, abilities and talents and to not punish those who don't respond to traditional teaching methods.

There is a lot to consider when creating a nourishing, enriching and supportive classroom environment. I think a good way to start creating such an environment is by incorporating this quote into your teaching philosophies:



No comments:

Post a Comment