Wednesday 27 February 2013

K-6 Mathematics Resources



In class we were able to explore Math resources from kindergarten to grade six. I thought this was a great opportunity because it opened my eyes to the various resources available to teachers.

Primary Resources 
I noticed from Kindergarten up until about grade three, the math resources we're much more vibrant and colourful. I also noticed the math resources didn't really seem like the math that I was exposed to in those grades, the math was more disguised. The content in these resources contained more stories and it seemed much more relevant to children's lives. I really enjoyed the resources for kindergarten. I actually felt excited about teaching math when I looked through all the different books that covered many topics in storybook form. In these resources mathematics is displayed in everyday life, its not just a subject in school, it's everywhere we look.

Elementary Resources 
By the time we reached the grade four station, the mathematics was looking more similar to the math that I experienced while in school. The resources contained less images, less stories and colour and just seemed boring! I found it really hard to even investigate the various resources in these grades and I frequently found myself turning the pages without taking anything in (which may be what elementary students experience).

Overall, I really enjoyed the resources for the primary grades and I'm looking forward to using them. As for the elementary grades, although there are great resources available, I will definitely look for additional, more student relevant and appealing resources.  

1 comment:

  1. thanks for keeping up on your blogging, sherry. this is great to see!

    ReplyDelete